Ardgay & District Community Council Ardgay & District Community Council, Culrain, Kincardine, Croick, Carbisdale, Dornoch Firth, Kyle of Sutherland, Strath Carron, Strath Oykel

13 December 2016

Minutes 12 December 2016

Filed under: Minutes — Tags: , — ADCCeditor @ 7:23 pm

Minutes approved 13/02/17

Minutes of meeting held on Monday, 12th December 2016 in Ardgay Hall at 7.00pm

Present: Betty Wright, Chair (BW), Silvia Muras, Vice Chair (SM), Marion Turner, Treasurer (MT), Leslie Pope, Secretary (LP), Andy Wright (AW)

Apologies: Sheila Lall (SL), Rob Pope (RP)

Also present: Highland Councillor George Farlow (GF), Buster Crabb (BC), 11 members of the public (listed at foot)

Police Scotland: No representative                                    Minutes Secretary: Mary Goulder

Items 1/2. Welcome/Apologies (as above). Chair Betty Wright opened the meeting with an expression of thanks to the members of the public attending to discuss the Scoping Document regarding Garvary Woodland and the proposed routes for extraction of timber. Concerns abound regarding the use of the Kincardine Road which is single track with few passing paces, obscured sightlines, poor surface condition of tarred section and track thereafter. The road is well used by residents and others by car, on foot and horseback. Twelve, soon to number fourteen, horses live with residents along the route. Many are young, not yet conditioned to traffic and are easily spooked by larger vehicles. Experience with log lorries has already shown that many drivers do not show due concern when meeting horses on the narrow road. Deep ditches run on both sides of the road with barbed wire fencing. The passing places are inadequate; it is already impossible to pass if two trucks or vehicles with trailers meet. At the very least THC should erect triangle warning signs indicating the presence of horses. Laden log lorries already vibrate the houses. Delivery drivers regularly abuse the road by ignoring safety issues. GF offered to meet residents in the coming week to conduct a site visit to assess safety issues, damage to the road and to liaise with THC Director of Roads. THC is not currently included in Fountain Forestry consultation circulation. There should also be consideration given to loss of visual amenity; the area could become a buffer zone and therefore be protected. An all-party meeting regarding harvesting should be arranged with planning and scheduling worked out how to deal with extraction periods. The police should be brought into the traffic management plans for this road and the junction with the A836. It appears that no thought has been given to an alternative route. As this is a commonly used path Matt Dent should be on board regarding what actions harvesters can have here. GF agreed to pass all concerns to THC, Fountain Forestry and The Forestry Commission. None of the residents present tonight had had any consultations or information delivered. CC will write to Fountain Forestry expressing the concerns of the community and inviting representatives to attend the February meeting. All individuals affected should write as well. BW Action.

Item 3. Minutes of last meeting. The minutes of the November meeting were approved as a true and accurate record, proposed: Silvia Muras; seconded: Andy Wright.

Item 4. Matters arising/updates. (1) Christmas lights. The lights and tree are up in the village and looking good. Chair will convey thanks to Paul and Vicki Whittock.BW Action. (2) Finches Play Park. The repairs to the steps are nearly completed. Wheelie bins will be placed in the park. (3) A thank you card with gift garden voucher for £50 will be sent to Jeanie Sparling to mark her years of service looking after the toilet facility. BW/MT Action.

Item 5. Police report. No report available.

Item 6. Proposal to co-opt new member. Buster Crabb attended having been approached to consider accepting co-option to the CC. Proposed: Silvia Muras, seconded: BW. All members agreed and BC accepted the position and was welcomed accordingly. Ward Manager Garry Cameron to be advised. LP Action.

Item 7. Chairperson’s report. BW advised that SM has set up Dropbox to enable easy access to relevant documents.  AW enquired if it might be possible to get a better projector to use at meetings. Discuss costs etc at a later meeting. BW will forward information regarding the Citizens Panel about which she has concerns. It appears that THC base policies on responses from this Panel although there are fewer than 2000 people on it and on average only half of them respond to questionnaires. BC raised the question of the much-used path at the Ardgay Regeneration Site as it may be compromised by the building of the houses.  BW confirmed a survey and established the need for new housing. The CC noticeboard may be placed on the boundary wall to the east of the Public Hall.

1

Item 8. Secretary’s report. (LP) All relevant correspondence has been circulated.

Item 9. Treasurer’s report. (MT) The November 2016 balance at the bank is £14,513.34 of which £13,712.98 are restricted funds. The Admin/General Fund has £800.36 available to carry out the business of the CC.  The balances of the restricted funds are: Toilet Caretaking – £330.00; BTWF – Community Projects – £414.53; Newsletter – £1638.25; BNO – £10,530.20; EON Path – £800. Invoice for RBL wreath £25 was approved for payment. The last payment for the season has been made from the Toilet funds. The Community Project funds are getting low; application will be held back until new tranche of funding received in the spring. SM passed on a Newsletter donation for £20.

Item10. Planning issues. Nothing relevant.

Item 11. Newsletter. (SM) Everyone is delighted with new 28 page issue. SM has created an advertising platform. 28 individuals from 21 different groups have approached SM and income is up on this period last year, to £541. Provision for fuel expenses of distributors can now be considered, paying mileage at 45p per mile. Paperwork for this to be collated by SM then passed to MT. SM/MT Action. SM was congratulated on producing this quality product for the CC.

Item 12. Kyle of Sutherland Development Trust report. (AW) Projects at Falls of Shin and Ardgay Regeneration are ongoing. Food shop/café on Mondays in Bonar Bridge is doing well.

Item 13. Highland Council (GF) Scottish Government says there is no decrease in money though COSLA says there is a huge decrease. Fewer people are now employed in THC. Salaries have not decreased. Issues are being raised. Frontline services in Roads Dept. are creating new posts. From the Revenue Budget 80% goes to Education. Serious gaps are expected over the next three years inevitably leading to more cuts. GF will provide a link to the minutes of the Sutherland County Committee which is beginning to make its presence felt. BT and Stagecoach attended the recent meeting. The priorities submitted by CC were put forward. These included the issue of request stops at Culrain Station and the timing of brashing on roadsides. MT requested the return of webcasting these meetings as it is not realistic for CCs to travel to all meetings. GF will follow up this suggestion. GF Action. The next meeting will be on February 22nd. Money will be available for War Memorials and the CC should be in receipt of a letter soon. CC can liaise with David Hannah and the Ward Manager. A Community Planning meeting will be held in Ferrycroft in January; GF will advise of date and time.GF Action.

Item 14. Broadband. Planning application has been made to site the green cabinet in Ardgay by the bus shelter near the phone box. MT asked that the Secretary ensure circulation to CCs of the weekly list. LP Action.

Item 15. Windfarms. Caplich. PLI Pre-exam meeting scheduled for 3rd February in Rosehall.

Item 16. Any other competent business. (1) Magical Forest Santa. This event was attended by upwards of two hundred people and was very successful. It also marked an excellent coming together of many local groups in Ardgay and Bonar Bridge working to achieve an excellent event for the wider community. Feedback has been very positive. Thanks were expressed to all groups with special mention made of Hayley Bangs, KOSDT’s Celebration Fund and of course, Santa.

Item 18. Date and time of next meeting. The meeting will be held on Monday February 13th at 7pm in Ardgay Hall. Invitation to be sent to Fountain Forestry and THC Roads Department. BW Action.

Beinn Tharsuinn/Beinn nan Oighrean Community Benefit awards.

At the private meeting following the CC’s monthly meeting, application by the Gledfield Primary School to BTWF was discussed with the decision taken to invite the Head Teacher to the March meeting to promote a better understanding of the issues around funding taking in the bigger picture. MG will write to Head Teacher. Awards made from the BnO were £150 to Ardgay Badminton Club for new racquets and £184 to Kyle of Sutherland Cinema Club to help with hall hire expenses. All applicants will be advised. MG Action.

Meeting closed 9.30pm.

Public attendees re Kincardine Road issue: Sue Wardrop, Honey Wardrop, Anna Patfield, Donna Docarme,

Donald Gillies, Austin Price, Mairi Munro, Cally Munro, Rhonwen Copley, Hilary Gardner, Innes Malcean

12 December 2016

Minutes 14 November 2016

Filed under: Minutes — Tags: — ADCCeditor @ 9:52 pm

Minutes approved 12/12/2016

Minutes of meeting held on Monday, 14th November 2016 in Ardgay Hall at 7.00pm

Present: Elected, co-opted and associate members: Betty Wright, Chair (BW), Silvia Muras, Vice Chair (SM), Leslie Pope, Secretary (LP), Sheila Lall, (SL), Andy Wright (AW), Rob Pope (RP)

Apologies: Marion Turner, Treasurer (MT)

Also present: Highland Councillor George Farlow (GF)

Police Scotland: PCs Angus Morrison and Steve MacKenzie                                    Minutes Secretary: Mary Goulder

Items 1/2. Welcome/Apologies (as above). Chair Betty Wright opened the meeting and welcomed the return of Rob Pope wishing him a continued good recover from recent surgery.

Item 5. Police report. The report itemised one wildlife crime, one theft, one medical matter, one advice call and two sudden deaths. The pubic are reminded that over the coming festive period the drink driving campaign and also that of use of mobile phones while driving. Roadside parking issues near Gledfield School were noted. Also the regular speeding log lorries over the Struie road – one recent incident resulted in the wing mirror of a car being damaged in passing. The officers noted these points and with thanks from the CC, they left at 7.08pm

Item 3. Minutes of last meeting. The minutes of the September meeting were approved as a true and accurate record, proposed: Sheila Lall; seconded: Andy Wright.

Item 4. Matters arising/updates. (1) Christmas lights. BW has been in discussion with Paul and Vicki Whittock who remain enthusiastic to put up six festive lights in the village. Also the lights can be stored in their garage when not in use. Robbie Gunn, THC Road Lighting, has indicated there should be no ongoing costs. AW confirmed that there is access to the electricity supply linked to the street lights where the village Christmas tree is erected. He also repeated his offer to supply the tree. The purchase of new professional white tree lights at a cost of £245 for a long string was approved. AW/MT Action. The first week in December was agreed as the time to erect the tree. The Magical Wood ceremony at Gearrchoille Wood is scheduled for December 11th. (2) Rotary Club Fund. RP will gather costs for options regarding a new bench. The picnic bench in Gearrchoille Wood needs to be replaced, perhaps an option. RP Action. (3) Finches Playpark. Steps are still taped off. Andy Shaw, THC Waste Management Officer, will be asked to replace novelty bin with a wheelie bin and to ensure it is regularly emptied. BW Action. (4) Culrain Station. It was agreed to write to Abellio regarding the present issues. A Hi-Trans meeting is scheduled in Inverness for 16th December, MT and PO hope to attend. CC will aim to discuss issues with MP Paul Monaghan. BW/LP Action. (5) Toilets. Jeanie Sparling has resigned as cleaner/caretaker therefore a new person is sought before next season. An item will be placed in the Newsletter and a thank you card will be sent to Jeanie. The facility is now closed for the winter. SM/BW Action. (6) An email received from the Hall Committee indicates that it has a surplus of £400 in hand from a recent Beinn Tharsuinn award and it requests permission to put this towards engaging a reliable acoustic consultant. Approved. LP Action. (7) Email received from Steve Copley regarding tree damage to a dyke at Croick cemetery. John Clark, THC CWO, is aware of the issue and is dealing with it.

Item 6. Archiving of CC documents. It is thought that there is sufficient cupboard space in the Hall. Also it was suggested that documents could be stored on ‘cloud space’. PO to be asked for an opinion. Discuss at a future meeting. Agenda item.

Item 7. Chairperson’s report. BW discussed the length of recent CC meetings and the need to find ways to share information ahead of meetings in order that discussions can be more focussed. It is understood that the newer CC members find discussions/explanations helpful especially when relevant historical information is shared. Items which can be circulated ahead of meetings should be read as part of preparation in order to minimise the time spent in face to face discussion when appropriate.

Item 8. Secretary’s report. (1) Email received regarding timber extraction route from Garvary wood via Kincardine. BW will circulate to CCs. Also for Newsletter. BW/SM Action. (2) Cromarty CC sent email regarding ship to ship oil transfers in the Cromarty Firth. An online Survey Monkey has been set up and individuals should make their own responses on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GKFBPN8 (3) Michael Baird has emailed regarding a possible local collection/presentation to Doris Calder. It was agreed that this should be a community-led project and not initiated by the CC. BW will reply to MB. BW Action. (4) A system will be put in place to acknowledge receipt of emails during the ‘gap’ months in the CC meeting schedule. LP Action. (5) £20 annual renewal of CC subscription to Scotways now due. Approved. MT Action.

Item 9. Treasurer’s report. (MT) The October 2016 balance at the bank is £14,794.54 of which £13,994.18 are restricted funds. The Admin/General Fund has £800.36 available to carry out the business of the CC.  The balances of the restricted funds are: Toilet Caretaking – £330.00; BTWF – Community Projects – £414.53; Newsletter – £1669.45; BNO – £10,780.20; EON Path – £800. GF commentated that Creich CC now circulates its financial report by email prior to each meeting thus reducing the time spent on it at meetings and maintain a level of confidentiality regarding actual transactions where this is appropriate.

Item10. Planning issues. Nothing relevant.

Item 11. Newsletter. (SM) PayPal account is now set up so that the public may donate directly. Automatic response also being set up. 25th November is deadline for next issue. Interest in purchasing copes expressed from Bonar Bridge area. For a trial period starting with the spring issue a few copies will be placed in the Bonar Post Office. GF offered to send SM documents pertaining to the Sutherland Committee.

Item 12. Website & Facebook. SM updating. Discussion regarding who should have access to these to keep up to date.

Item 13. Kyle of Sutherland Development Trust report. (AW) Discussions ongoing regarding the naming of the new development on Lady Ross site. Lady Ross Square favoured by CC. This will be passed to the Ward Manager and also should be an item in the Newsletter. BW/SM Action. A steel shell will be erected inside the barn to house a new business hub. Other projects all progressing well. CHESS has highlighted serious fuel poverty issues in the local districts. The project is gaining awards across the country; local tradesmen are advising customers to contact CHESS when relevant. A Community Shop and cafe is now open on Mondays in Bonar Bridge Hall.

Item 14. Highland Council (GF) The CC’s priority list has helped to highlight six areas of concern including Broadband, verge cutting, and cycle routes. It is hoped that THC will acquire suitable vehicles to carry out a sensible verge cutting programme. Branches on roadside trees often cause issues but these are often actually on private land.  Community Partnership Committee, chaired by Police Scotland and covering wide range of issues will meet next in January at Drummuie. GF will send dates to CC. The pump is still awaited to return the South Bonar toilet facility to service. The middle section will be accessible by use of a key kept at the local library. GF has supplied the link to the Scottish Parliament Rural Development and Connectivity Committee; SM will post this on Facebook. Individuals are encouraged to write to this committee regarding the failure of BT and HIE to progress an efficient Superfast Broadband service in rural areas. The Scottish Government consultation regarding Forestry has now finished.

Item 15. Broadband. MP Paul Monaghan has requested a meeting with CC on 10th December at 2pm in Ardgay. Sec will confirm with MP’s secretary and request a list of topics to be discussed. CC intends to raise the Broadband issue. LP Action. AW will research other third party provider options, other than BT. Medical issues in rural areas which can be helped by an efficient and reliable Internet connection will be highlighted in discussions and emails. AW Action.

Item 16. Windfarms. Kyle of Sutherland Apprenticeship Scheme – next meeting on 21st November. Chair reiterated CC’s neutral standpoint on developments, reflecting the various opinions held within the community, while maintaining a positive position regarding the usage/distribution of community benefits from operating windfarms. BW will attend the upcoming Pre-exam meeting for Caplich as an individual not as a CC representative. Both Creich and Ardgay CCs have signed documents with Muirhall (Caplich) regarding shared ownership.

Item 17. Any other competent business. (1) With regard to the possible removal of the payphone at Culrain BW has commented on THC website that this should not take place until mobile connectivity is greatly improved. (2) SL advised that she is now Chair of Gledfield Primary School Parent Council.

Item 18. Date and time of next meeting. The meeting will be held on Monday 12th December at 7pm in Ardgay Hall. Room to be booked for this and upcoming meetings.

Beinn Tharsuinn/Beinn nan Oighrean Community Benefit awards.

At the private meeting following the CC’s monthly meeting, application by the Ardgay Public Hall Committee was awarded £1700 from the Beinn Tharsuinn Fund towards insulation improvements to the committee room.

All applicants will be advised. MG Action.

Meeting closed 9.08pm.

Powered by WordPress